Cruel Summer

Man, it has been one heck of a summer here in the Northeast. Hot, humid, not a lot of rain or relief from the weather. It's been the #1 reason a lot of my plans for the season have become somewhat derailed. Knitting and spinning in this heat is just gross. I attempted the Tour de Fleece this year, only to fall woefully short. Just too sticky to handle alpaca fiber. Ick. Working the horse is almost inhumane, for both her and I. TC and I have taken a couple of weekend trips, however. We were in Maine a few weekends ago, and the weather cooperated with our plans. The dew point was down, and there was a nice cool ocean breeze for the entire weekend. It was lovely.

I've had to pick and choose days to keep Siouxsie working. She's almost to the point where she can be ridden. 
She will walk, trot and canter nicely on the line, and she's been wearing my big old western saddle most days, if it's not too hot. I've tried to belly up on her a bit, but as you may notice upon further inspection of the picture, I've got a bit of my own belly in the way.

We've been keeping it as quiet as possible, because it's just a difficult thing to talk about some days, but we are expecting again. In fact, I'm due in 19 days. After Bean was gone, we had a wonderful counselor who asked us if we were going to have more kids someday. I said of course, I want 10 kids, and I want them yesterday. So she asked if we were trying to get pregnant again. We said no, and she said, "Why? You know it takes 9 months to make a baby. That's a lot of waiting..." and we realized she was right. We found out we were pregnant again on Christmas Eve, and it just made the holidays bearable. We still missed our little girl, but knowing we had something to look forward to helped a lot.

Baby knitting commenced as soon as we found out we were having another little girl. I has wanted to spin and knit a BSJ for Bean, but I hadn't gotten around to it. This time, I was not going to let the same thing happened. So my seekrit spinning and knitting made this:
...which, when folded up all sneaky and the like, makes this:
The yarn is spun from Spunky Eclectic fiber, 100% Corriedale wool, colorway "Rosebud". I'm not a huge fan of pink, but the raspberry tones and the green really caught my eye. I spun enough yarn that I made a matching set of booties and have plenty of leftovers for another baby sweater. I have yet to put on the perfect little ladybug buttons and give it a wash. I'm hoping to full the sweater a bit to fluff up the wool so this will be the perfect fall coat for the Bug. If you've never knit one of these, I highly recommend it. It's a fun knit, easy to do, and amazing how it all works out.

I'm finally to the point where I'm ready to have this kid. Not only has this weather done me in, but the psychological aspect of what's about to happen has done me in as well. Being 9 months pregnant in public is tough most days. The innocent questions that strangers ask cut right to the quick: "Is this your first?" Sometimes I lie and say yes. Because it's easier. Being pregnant again is a good thing, but it's not 100% happy. It's as terrifying as it is joyous. I'm thankful that I can have another child, don't get me wrong, I just want to blend into the woodwork again. And just when I'm at the end of my rope, my girls surprise me. They got together and made me a gorgerous blanket for the Bug (see Melody's post all about it here). They had been working on it for a while, and I had no idea. I was touched. Not only because they thought of me, but they also thought of my mom (who has a wool allergy) and made the blanket out of non-wool yarn so Grammie can snuggle with her granddaughter without getting hives. Ladies, you kick ass.

And just in case that wasn't enough for us, TC and I are in the process of buying and renovating a house. The day after we signed papers, this sign went up on all entrances to the house:

Mold. Lots of it. We knew it was there, and we knew it had to be remedied. Half of the house was literally removed. Walls, floor, cabinets, some studs, and carpet. A crew of guys in hazmat suits and respirators working in oppressive heat and humidity. Once it was cleared out, the contractors got to work. We're hoping to move in 2-3 months, knowing we couldn't get things done before the Bug was born. Why go through all this trouble? We like our current house. We have no reason to move. BUT - this house is in the neighborhood where I grew up, and it was a foreclosure. Even with all the additional work, we're getting this house for super cheap. We almost can't afford to do this right now, but in the long run, it will all be worth it.

So, lots to come! Pictures and updates on a baby, a horse, and a house... and maybe more knitting. Busy busy!

3 comments:

Jennifer Tallagnon said...
August 10, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Steph, tears are streaming down my face reading this, both happy and sad (and some, I confess, are just sweat, due to the humidity you write about.)

Some of those sweat-tears are in memory of myself in your condition, 3 yrs ago, hating every minute of having to WAIT for this girl, this promise of happiness, this answer to all my dreams.

Those conditions under your circumstances... head='splode.

You are amazing, you are on the brink of being the best mom ever to the best little girl ever. You've had practice. You will rock this. We will help you. We love you.

Emily said...
August 11, 2010 at 6:39 AM

I thought that was a BSJ! Congratulations on the little one - though I cannot imagine being that preggers in this heat. You're my hero! :)

And Siouxsie is looking wonderful! What a gorgeous mare.

Jack Kung said...
August 22, 2010 at 11:47 AM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Back to Home Back to Top Stellify. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.